Print, Share, or View Spanish version of this article
Young children may put anything in their mouths. This is part of learning. Many household products can be poisonous if swallowed, if in contact with the skin or eyes, or if inhaled.
MEDICINES: Vitamins with iron, cough and cold medicine, allergy and asthma medicine, pain and fever medicine
HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS: Moth balls, furniture polish, drain cleaners, weed killers, insect or rat poisons, lye, paint thinners, dishwasher detergent, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil
Keep harmful products locked up and out of your child's sight and reach.
Use safety latches or locks on drawers and cabinets where you keep dangerous items.
Take extra care during stressful times.
Call medicine by its correct name. You do not want to confuse the child by calling medicine candy.
Always replace the safety caps immediately after use.
Never leave alcohol within a child's reach.
Seek help if your child swallows a substance that is not food. Call the Poison Help Line at 1-800-222-1222 or your doctor. Do not make your child vomit.
Keep the following telephone numbers by your phone:
POISON HELP LINE 1-800-222-1222
Keep products in their original containers. Never put non-food products in food or drink containers.
Read labels with care before using any product.
Teach children not to drink or eat anything unless it is given by an adult.
Do not take medicine in front of small children. Children tend to copy adult behavior.
Check your home often for old medications and get rid of them by flushing them down the toilet.
Get rid of substances used for old-fashioned treatments such as oil of wintergreen, boric acid, ammoniated mercury, oil of turpentine, and camphorated oil.
There is more of a danger of poisoning when you are away from home, especially at a grandparent's home.